A message from Bernard Sumner

Posted: by jade | 26 Comments »

Categorized: Band Post, Live, News

On behalf of the band and management I would like to apologize to all our fans who have been inconvenienced in any way by the cancellation of our US gigs. The band are very upset and surprised by this, as the fans obviously are. I am informed that this was caused by administrative  problems with our visa application and at this late stage nothing can be done. We are trying our hardest to reschedule the gigs for spring next year and to add extra shows in the USA. Bernard Sumner.

26 Responses to “A message from Bernard Sumner”

1. Tony Wilson says:

You are the King of ENGLAND and BRITISH music, how can they deny you and your group a visa, I guess laws are laws no matter who it is, but Please come to NYC when you come back because me and my 6 friends will definately come to see you no matter what, Bad Lieutenant rules.

2. Kurt says:

Too bad about the cancellation. When you are able to come back to the U.S. Please consider adding a Detroit, Michigan show.
    cheers,
    Kurt

3. CK says:

Yeah, it’s surprising they would cause an issue with the visas. It’s not like you all haven’t been here before! From what I’ve read, other bands were having the same problems.

It would totally, totally, make it up if you guys (Bad Lieutenant) did a signing at some of your stops (like, say, in Chicago?) when you come in the spring.

4. JD says:

Fuck. This sucks.

5. J 314 says:

F immigration and all their dumb ass laws. What a disapointment.

6. J 314 says:

Fuc immigration and all their dumb ass laws. What a disapointment.

7. Arnaud says:

After the wonderful concert in France, will you come back to tour in Europe and particularly in France?

8. DefPedro says:

Will you be putting t-shirts up for sale on the website? I really want one and I was planning on picking one up at the Chicago show.
    Thanks!

9. Ian says:

When you are able to come on Tour to North America, please consider Canada and come to cities like Montreal and Toronto. You’re welcome for sure.
    Thank’s.

10. Kyle says:

Very bummed to hear about the show cancellations. We will all be waiting patiently for your triumphant return to Chicago!

11. Tammy says:

Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck!!!!! Was Soooo looking forward to this show! Completely understand not the band’s fault. Can’t wait for you to reschedule!!! Unfortunately, we were flying to Chicago from Los Angeles tomorrow just for THIS show. One night only. Oh well…….. Ironic that here in Mexifornia, immigration laws are nonexistant, but a band from England can’t cross our border legally to play a few shows. Way to go Immigration Department!!!! Epic Fail!!! Maybe the band should come anyway via Mexico. You’ll definitely get in! Anyway, hope to see you guys soon…maybe in L.A.? Cheers!!!

12. Brandi says:

I was really looking forawrd to your Chicago show. I do think some back stage passes for you spring shows would be nice. Would love some autographs and pictures.

13. Jeff says:

We’ll miss seeing you at Webster Hall, but understand it’s out of your hands. Definitely looking forward to the shows in the spring. Love the new stuff, lads, and can’t wait for the chance to hear it live.

14. CK says:

Yeah, I’m with Brandi. I had originally suggested doing some autograph signings, but why not some backstage passes instead? There’s only about 12 of us who have posted on here about it, so that would be a hell of a lot easier than doing a signing at a store somewhere. We could be the faithful few (I know you guys have a TON more fans, but we’re the ones posting on your site here).

So, how about it? Pretty please??????

15. Exeter says:

didn’t think any crazy yahoos like Tammy would be a Bad Lieutenant fan…kind of shocked….

16. BROOKLYN 11219 says:

I was so looking forward to Meeting Bernard Sumner after the show, he is a LEGEND and before I die I have to meet him, I missed him after the New Order show at Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC 2005 because it was getting late, I did get to meet Peter and Steve and were very nice.So please come back to NYC is spring and me and my 6 friends will come and see you, I am upset that the NYC shows got cancelled but what can you do.

• CK says:

Brooklyn 11219, I totally hear ya. I also need to meet Bernard and Stephen before I die, in a totally, I just want a quick autograph, non-creepy way. I got to meet Peter and Phil when Peter was DJing the night before their last New Order concert here in Chicago. The thing that sucks is it’s totally a matter of luck if you get to meet them afterwards or not. Are you waiting in the right place, etc. I’ve been pretty lucky for the most part, but these guys are top on my list. Pretty much the only way to get a backstage pass is who you know, and well, I don’t know anybody in that regard.

• BROOKLYN 11219 says:

Well I meet Peter and Steve behind the Hammerstein Ballroom which is easy because not too many people came behind to meet them, it was easy to meet them but I had to leave because it was getting late so I could not meet Barney but next time when they come I will, if not I will figure out a way to meet him after the show, I just want to get some cd signed and just meet him, not in a creepy was also, let’s see what happens, if you want you can download the Paris show from Bad Lieutenat here, it is very clear and a good show, just skip the first 5 minutes because it is in french then it is pretty decent.

• CK says:

Thanks for the link, I’ll have to check it out. I just want to get a CD cover signed as well. I got Peter and Phil to sign the CD cover for Substance, which I thought was the best one to see the autographs on. I also got the cover to Technique signed as well but they don’t show up as well. When you met them, were you backstage, or waiting outside, or did they come out to meet some of the fans?

• Geri says:

Taken straight from French radio, hence the French :)
          I recorded that whilst watching Arsenal score some lovely goals. Still, I’d rather have been there personally, my unused ticket is now functioning as a bookmarker :(

17. B-Day Boy Sad in Chicago says:

Yeah, so today was my birthday so my partner got me tickets for the Chicago Pixies show. While I was definitely pumped to see The Pixies, we were both super excited about getting to see Bad Lieutenant! I am sure you guys were disappointed about not being able to make it tonight, but the concert organizers didn’t make any announcements at all which made it a real bummer when Black Gold finished and the roadies just started setting up for the Pixies. Anyways, just wanted you to know that you were dearly missed here in Chicago tonight. I still had a great birthday evening, but it would have been 10 times better if you would have been there…

18. Craig G says:

Damn – I didn’t even find out the NYC show was cancelled until today (day of show).. almost wasted a 2-hour trip into the city…

Bernard, perhaps you can drop us an email directly when you have dates rescheduled? You have all our email addresses from this comment thread.

Best of luck.

• Geri says:

like he’s going to sit sifting through email addresses!?!? it’ll be announced on here in due course, isn’t that good enough?

19. rta says:

no problem BL! did what you could. here’s to seeing you in 2010! cheers! (pssssst, hit up DC on your way through eh? ;)